1) Make sure you have a GOOD Antivirus program on your computer.
(By GOOD I mean, no Norton, and no Mcaffe) If you need an antivirus
go to http://free.grisoft.com and download one for free (for personal use)
2) Remember that Email can ONLY SEND TEXT (yes, you read that right)
You can not get a virus by opening an Email.. ONLY by double clicking (running)
the Email attachment.
3) Remember that you can not get a virus though a ‘data’ file type.
with computers there’s two file types. Programs, and Data.
Programs have extenstions like EXE, COM, BAT..
where as Data files have extensions like “.jpg/.gif”
YOu’ve got to be careful about some of these. People have figured out if you save a file
with a name like ‘MyNudes.exe.jpg’ then the computer will show a JPG Icon and NOT
the EXE icon.. that’s bad..
so first things first, be sure to look at the file name BEFORE you open it.
make sure that you don’t see a ‘double extension’ like above.
also, as another way to combat that crap, be sure that you DO NOT hide
file extensions for known files. This setting can be changed in your Folder Options.
4) Be mindful of the people that send you things.
if all of a sudden you get an Email with an attachement from
‘SuperMario@ToadstoolCastle.com’ with a message body
of ‘Hey! I thought you would like this!”
DO NOT OPEN IT. Just delete it.
if it really is someone you know, they will have either A)
told you before hand they are sending you something
or B) ask about it later. If they ask about it, tell them to send it
and for the pet peeves:
1) Emails are NOT tracked. If you get an Email saying that if you send this to 5 other people
then someone somewhere will give you $1000. It’s bull shit.
2) Emails saying ‘If you send this to 5 people, then some really funny cartoon
will pop up on your screen” again, this is B.S.
Remember Email, can only send TEXT. If there’s no attachment.. how can there be a cartoon?
on top of that.. Email isn’t tracked.. Refer to #1
3) IF yo uget an Email saying that the make a wish foundation will donate $.02 to some sick
child if you forward this email to everyone you know.. Refer to Pet Peeve #1, and then
#4. or.. if you are just lazy.. EMAILS ARE NOT TRACKED AND STOP SENDING CHAIN LETTERS.
4) Chain letters.. just stop it.. you’re clogging up my Internet.
and, of course, if anyone has any Q’s about this.. just ask. =)
(all of this is said in humor.. minus the part about the Chain letters.. really.. stop it. )